What To Do If You Have Been Sued

What to Do If You Have Been Sued. 

Having the Sheriff or a process server come to your home or place of work to serve a summons and complaint to you is always a disturbing event, even if you have been expecting it for some reason.  As disturbing as it may be, you need to immediately contact an attorney to preserve your right to defend against the claim filed against you. How immediately do you need to find an attorney?  Consider that in Oregon, for circuit court matters you have 30 days to find a lawyer and bring them up to speed, and file a detailed response to the lawsuit.  In small claims actions, you may less than half that time.  If you don’t have a response filed in a timely manner, the person suing you wins by default. 

Holbrook & Associates LLC has decades of experience in litigation matters.  Our philosophy is to determine the merits of a case and work to pragmatically resolve the dispute, out of court if possible, but litigate matters in court or arbitration if necessary.  Contact Us for an immediate appointment.